Monday, January 25, 2010

The Great Debate.....

Thanks to everyone who left a comment...I'm grateful that I still have friends in the blogging world. For those of you that asked I am not pregnant...hopefully someday, but not yet. I do, however, need some advice. For graduation and my birthday (which is tomorrow for those of you who wish to send birthday greetings:)) I received money. I am looking to get a camera but I can't decide what to get. I have researched and talked to several of you and I have narrowed it down to four cameras. I am looking at the Nikon D3000, Nikon D5000, Canon Rebel Xsi 10.2 MP or 12.2 MP. The Canons are a little more expensive, but all the choices are GREAT! So the question is.....WHAT DO I GET? I don't know if the difference between the MP is that big of a deal...is it? Is there that big of a difference or should I just pick the cutest one? It's a lot of money and I want to make sure that I make a good choice. So I'm calling on all of you to help me please...pretty please! Let me know what you think about the above choices or if you have an even better one. My price limit is roughly $650-700 dollars. Thank you ahead of time for your help and advice!

5 comments:

ClaysJenna said...

I have the D60 which I believe is the D3000 now. My brother has the D5000. If you debate between the D3000 and the D5000 go for the D5000 because it has video and you can use the screen instead of the viewfinder for pictures. Otherwise I LOVE my Nikon. A lot. Good luck!! Can't wait to see what you end up buying!! Happy birthday and congrats on graduation! That's so exciting!!

Kristi said...

I have a Canon Rebel. I LOVE my camera. The MP can make a big difference in quality - however, you aren't going to notice a large difference in quality between 10 and 12 MP. The only thing that you'll notice is 12 MP can let you print larger photos. 10 MP cameras can usually print as big as 16X20 (sometimes bigger). So, if you aren't worried about printing your pics THAT big, the MP isn't a BIG difference. The Nikons are #1 on the market right now, however they say Nikons can be a little bit harder to use (if you don't know how to use cameras real well). I owned a Nikon several years back and had that problem, couldn't figure out how to use it. Hated it. Then, a few years ago I bought my Canon Rebel and I have LOVED it from day one! But, thats just my opinon. :) GOOD LUCK!

Unknown said...

Okay... here we go... brace yourself! :)
I have researched this out for quite some time and I always wondered which one was better, the canon or nikon. How can you know? I had actually heard great things about both. So it was hard to choose...However, I decided to go with the Canon Rebel Xsi for a few reasons... canons lenses are interchangable, and the deal I got came with an extra lens... also other family members I have have canons and lenses, so those could be interchangable as well if I wanted to borrow their lenses. It kind of depends what you are using it for though...{I don't actually get my camera until may... it is just sitting there tempting me! It is my graduation present too from Jor!) I have taken pictures with my sister in laws new Xsi, and I liked it a lot. It is pretty light weight, which is nice. The D5000 does have HD video, so if you are looking for that... I do not believe that the D3000 has live view, which is where you can view the picture on the screen while taking the picture. XSi does, but you have to enable it and D5000 does I'm pretty positive. So it just depends on what you want. I think that they are all great cameras!! Depending on where you get it, I think you will pay more for the 5000 because of the video...
The mega pixels don't matter a ton, unless you are going to blow your pictures up to maximum size.
I bought mine in a deal at costco for about 750. I don't think this deal is still going with the XSi, (you get a bag, the camera, an extra lens, and an 4g SD card) I just checked and you can get the D3000 in that same package, for 650. It is a really good deal! I love having an extra lens!... Also, they have the Canon XS in the package for about 700. I'm not sure the difference between the XS and the XSi though. So, I say, get whatever camera fits your budget, and try to find a great deal. Not having another lens was a big deal to me... so I opted to find a good deal with an extra lens. If you don't mind though, then go for the D5000 and get just the camera for probably the same price. You could also check some photographers blogs, sometimes they are selling their old cameras for new equipment. Also... I heard that february is a great time to buy a camera because they are coming out with new models... so good luck! I'm excited for you! Congratulations!

Tyler + Jess said...

I have a Canon Rebel XSI and I love it! When I was looking at cameras I looked at getting a Nikon but I heard that they are not as user friendly as a Canon. You can go to Costco and get a great deal on a Canon Rebel XSI that comes with another lens and a backpack. If I could go back I would have bought the package from costco.. Its the same price that I got mine for BUT I just got the camera.. no lens or bag. Good luck with your search!! If you need any help call me!

Jena said...

remember... what are you going to use it for. If you are planning on going into a career of being a "photographer" get an xsi or other higher grade camera. Ya, MP will matter IF you plan on blowing up your photos. Otherwise they'll just be more money on stuff that will stay at a 4x6 or 5x7 etc etc. If you get one, and are going to shoot on automatic, don't waste your money! If you want to learn to shoot on manual go ahead, the camera is worth it if you go thtat. BUT once again, if you just want a nice camera, go for a Canon G(or something like that) I have a old neighbor who i won pictures from (mackley in logan) he's been photographing for 15+ years, he says nikon and canon are about the same now and are both good cameras, its just what you are comfortable with.